As we all know, Amazon’s Alexa is more or less designed to work in the US with the addition of some other countries. If you belong to another country, you might wonder if the Alexa you bought in the US would also work there. If you live in India, then does Alexa, bought in the US, work in India?
Yes, Alexa bought in US can work in India; however, you won’t get all the features in India as they aren’t available yet. Simply download the Alexa app (which is now available in India, too!) and set up your account. If your Alexa’s country is set to US, you can go to the Amazon Alexa website and change it to India.
How to change the country on Alexa?
To change your country settings on your Alexa, follow the steps below:
- Go to the Device management page.
- Then, open Preferences.
- Choose Country/Region Settings, and select Change.
- Select India, then click/tap Update.
Alexa in India: A look into the features
Even though Alexa was launched in India on October 4th, 2017, it could neither understand Hindi nor speak in Hindi. However, that has changed since September 18th, 2019, with Alexa both understanding and using the Hindi language to speak to its customers.
How to change Alexa’s language to Hindi?
- Open your Alexa app.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose Device Settings.
- Select the device you want to change the language on.
- In the device settings, scroll and locate Language.
- Out of the languages, select Hindi.
Amazon has tweaked the voice assistant a bit to offer local pronunciations and intonation along with support for local music titles, places, and skills. Indian developers have also contributed to Amazon’s voice-activated apps.
Furthermore, Echo devices shipped from Amazon to eligible countries also offer a limited selection of Alexa features. These features vary based on the country and may or may not be withdrawn without any notice or may require a separate subscription or other fees.
Features available for Alexa in India
- Alexa app
- Smart Home
- To-do/shopping list
- Amazon Music Unlimited
- Local traffic and business search
- Location-specific news and information
- Music service providers like iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, and Pandora
- Shopping services
- Some skills from the Alexa Skills store
Installing Amazon Echo in India
Installing Amazon Echo in India is pretty simple. Before setup, you will need to download and install the Alexa app on your smartphone. Luckily, it is now available in India!
Then, follow the steps below:
- Plug in your Echo device.
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile.
- Visit the Add device section and select Amazon Echo.
- Continue following the instructions and set up the device.
In addition to that, you may also need to change the country on your Alexa. To do that;
- Log into the Amazon Alexa website or launch the app on your smartphone.
- Visit Settings and select your Alexa device.
- Scroll down and locate the Location tab, and select Edit.
- Choose your country from the new countries list.
Concluding thoughts on does Alexa bought in the US work in India
Although Alexa may not function fully in India in terms of features, it is slowly making its way into the Indian market. At the moment, Alexa can understand and speak Hindi, which is a huge achievement not only for the company itself but also for Indian customers. Now you can have fun using your Alexa!