Gaming has quickly become a favorite past-time among youngsters. Not only for leisure, some even earn decent bucks by streaming their gameplay. And yet, the whole experience could be even better if you introduce Amazon’s Alexa to the scene. But how much flexibility does Alexa give you with your PS4? Can Alexa turn on your PS4? What about other functions?
No, unfortunately, you cannot get Alexa to turn your PS4 on; no such skill exists. However, you can use the Logitech Harmony Hub to sync your PS4 with other smart devices like Philips Hue lights and smart speakers to enhance the gaming experience.
However, a difficult method does exist to turn your PS4 on remotely. It’s called the PS4 Waker. It involves coding, so be prepared!
How to connect Alexa to PS4 using Harmony Hub
Sony may have tried to gatekeep its gaming consoles, but some tricks still exist to connect PS4 with Alexa. However, you’ll have to spend some extra cash.
Gaming consoles like PS4 were not meant to be connected with automation software like Alexa. You’ll need a “medium” like Logitech’s Harmony Hub to establish the connection. The Harmony Hub acts as a universal remote control for all your smart devices. It allows you to control them via your smartphone.
Connecting PS4 to Harmony Hub
To make efficient connectivity between Alexa and PS4, you must first connect your PS4 with the Harmony Hub. The easy-to-follow guide is explained below:
- Install the Harmony app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Search forDevicesand move on to Edit Devices.
- Add a new device, and select Entertainment device from the categories.
- You will be prompted to enter your device’s manufacturer, model number, and other information. Enter PlayStation 4 in the model number too.
- Tap Add, and you have successfully added your PS4 to the Harmony Hub.
- Now, you need to create an activity on PS4. This means adding the devices you want to control using the Harmony hub.
- Turn on your PlayStation 4.
- Go to Settingsand select Devices.
- Scroll to Bluetooth Settingsand look for the Harmony Hub gadget. Select it, and it should start pairing. If not, press the pairing button on the back of the Hub.
Now, remember that you still can’t actually turn the PS4 on with the Harmony Hub; you can, however, activate it if it is already in standby mode. This can be done using routines or activities created using the Harmony Hub that specify how the devices are supposed to behave based on certain commands.
Connecting Alexa to PS4 and Harmony Hub
To enable controlling PS4 via the Harmony Hub, you need to enable the Harmony skill within the Alexa app. Once the skill is enabled, you can command Alexa by saying, “Alexa, turn on PS4,” and it will oblige without any problem.
Final verdict on whether Alexa can turn on your PS4
Despite Sony’s best attempts at keeping its gaming consoles away from home automation, you can still connect your Alexa with the PS4. Alexa can and will obey your voice commands.
Keep in mind that the turning-on process is still a no, but you can control your PlayStation in other ways using Alexa. However, you must follow a few extra steps and perhaps spend some money on a third-party hub to do so!