Apple is taking the lead with its highly advanced products that offer easier living. Now, you have Apple HomeKit that can connect with practically any smart home device to automate your home. Keeping that in mind, does Nest thermostat connect with HomeKit? Plus, how to easily connect Nest thermostat with HomeKit?
No, Nest thermostat and Google Nest devices do not directly connect to Apple HomeKit. However, you can use the Homebridge hub to connect the two. Though, keep in mind that this won’t be super easy but is 100% doable.
Google is one of the largest companies that provide electronic devices and services. However, Google Nest devices do not directly support Apple HomeKit. Therefore, Apple HomeKit owners can use Nest devices through the Google Home app, but they miss out on routine, scenes, and automation that only come with compatible HomeKit.
How to easily connect Nest thermostat with HomeKit?
Nest thermostat does not directly connect to HomeKit, so the Homebridge platform can be used as a link to connect the two. Homebridge emulates an iOS API to allow HomeKit to connect to other brands’ devices.
Just follow one of the methods below to easily connect Nest thermostat with HomeKit using Homebridge!
Method 1: Using Homebridge on a Mac computer 24/7 (technical)
The items you’ll need:
- Mac or any PC
- Nest thermostat
- HomeKit capable device
Follow the steps below to connect your Nest thermostat and HomeKit through Homebridge on a PC:
- Using the Mature and Dependable package, go to the Node.js website and install Node.js.
- Then, download config.json. Open this file with a text editor and edit it to include your Nest username and password.
- Open the Terminal and type the commands below:
- sudo npm install -g homebridge
- sudo npm install -g homebridge-nest
- You will be asked to validate your password here as well. If you get an error on the last “homebridge” command, ignore it.
- Then, open Finder, then Go, then Go to Folder…
- Paste ~/.homebridge and click Go.
- Cut and paste the config.json file into the .homebridge folder.
- Then, open the Terminal and type homebridge and enter.
- Go to the App Store and download the Devices app. This app will help you manage the HomeKit devices.
- Once installed, open the Devices app and allow access to Home Data.
- Tap Edit, Create New Room, and select Homebridge, under the Add New Devices heading. Then, tap Add Anyway. If there is already a room, select it and add Homebridge to that room.
- When prompted, add your 8-digit accessory setup code manually, and enter 987-65-432.
- When the code has been entered, you will see the Nest thermostat. Press the Save button to save the configuration.
- Your Nest is now connected!
Method 2: Getting a Homebridge hub (simple)
As a Homebridge hub, I recommend the Starling Hub, which connects Nest and HomeKit very smoothly. The connection process is super easy too. Follow the steps below to set up your Starling Hub:
- Unbox your Starling Hub.
- Connect the Starling Hub to your network router or switch using the Ethernet cable that came with the hub. This is because both Nest and HomeKit will be using the same Wi-Fi.
- Plug the hub’s power cord into a nearby outlet and switch the power on.
- Now, look up setup.starlinghome.io on your browser.
- Follow the instructions on the screen and pair your Nest account with HomeKit.
- If you get the message “This accessory is not HomeKit certified”, ignore it and select Add anyway.
- And you should be connected now!
Can you manage your Nest thermostat through Siri?
Yes! You can manage your Nest thermostat with Siri. After you have managed to successfully integrate your Nest thermostat with Apple HomeKit, you can then operate your thermostat using any of the Apple features such as Siri on an Apple watch, iPad, or iPhone. Just download the Thermo Watch iOS app, and you’re good to go.
With Siri, you can ask her:
- What the temperature is.
- To change the temperature.
- To change the mode of your thermostat.
- To switch between on and auto modes.
- To activate scenes.
- To turn off the air conditioner upon leaving the house and turn it on when you’re back.
Concluding thoughts on connecting Nest thermostat to HomeKit
It’s a bummer that Google Nest and Apple HomeKit can’t connect directly; however, with the Starling Hub, you can connect them in a jiffy! But if you don’t have the Starling Hub, the PC method can work too, but it’ll definitely be a bit more complicated. Both the options have been explained above, so choose the one that suits you and get your Nest thermostat working asap!