If you’re used to conducting meetings online or just enjoy video calling loved ones abroad, you must be familiar with the tiny camera in your Lenovo laptop. However, if due to some reason your internal webcam isn’t working, you would need to use an external webcam until you get the internal webcam fixed.
However, check if your laptop’s webcam has an issue or is just disconnected. Start by pressing the F8 key on the keyboard, which has a camera symbol on it. You’ll need to adjust the internal webcam’s privacy settings if that doesn’t work. Read on to find out how.
If that isn’t the issue, then you might have to get an external webcam. If you aren’t familiar with a webcam, you’d probably be wondering about how to connect a webcam to your Lenovo laptop. I’m here to guide you through the entire process so buckle up!
Upon getting a new Lenovo laptop, you’d notice that the internal webcam is disconnected and unusable. The factory does this to protect the user’s privacy. If the webcam is disconnected, no one would be able to hack it and take control of it to spy on you later.
So, to activate the webcam, you’d have to activate the webcam’s driver and disable the privacy controls. Here’s how you can do it:
- Download the Lenovo Vantage application on your desktop. It will give you access to the webcam’s drivers for the activation.
- Open the Lenovo Vantage application and select Hardware Settings from the main menu.
- Select Audio/Visual, which is under the Hardware Settings sub-menu.
- Look for the Camera Privacy Mode option in the Audio/Visual sub-menu, and turn this option off.
Your internal webcam should be working now!
Connecting an external webcam to your laptop is a piece of cake. It will hardly take you ten minutes. As the first step, check whether the webcam is wireless or wired. I have explained the connection processes for both types of webcams below.
- Plug the webcam into a power outlet and turn it on.
- The webcam will connect to the nearest Wi-Fi network and get an IP address which you will be able to see on the webcam’s small display window.
- OR if your webcam has a local area connection, then connect an active Ethernet cable to the webcam’s network port on the back.
- Make sure that your laptop and webcam are connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Open your laptop and insert the CD that came with the webcam into the DVD drive.
- Install the software for your webcam, then launch the webcam’s administration program.
- Set a username and password for your webcam through the webcam’s administration program.
- Open a browser and enter your webcam’s IP address into the search bar.
- Enter the username and password that you set previously when prompted.
- Once you’re logged in, your webcam will start recording.
- Plug your webcam’s USB cable into the USB port on your laptop.
- Your operating system will immediately recognize that the webcam is connected and install the drivers automatically. Your webcam will be ready for use.
- If your operating system does not install the drivers automatically, then go to the webcam’s company’s website and download the drivers from there. Install these drivers.
- If a CD came with the webcam, insert it into the DVD drive and install the software.
- You can test your webcam out by typing “camera” in the search box and opening the camera app.
Even though Lenovo laptops come with their own built-in webcams, one might have the need for an external webcam, whether it is because of the low resolution of internal webcams or any other issue. You now know that connecting a webcam to a Lenovo laptop is super easy. I’ve detailed all the steps for you. So, get to work and start using your webcam right away!
Wondering how to get the most out of your Philips Hue sytem? Well, we've got 18 advanced tips to master illumination!
Is your Philips Hue light bulb a Z-wave? In this post we explain all there is to learn about the topic. To learn more read this article now!