Philips Hue Bridge is among the best smart home devices you can install in your home ecosystem. It can connect to up to 50 lights and also offer a voice control feature. Unlike Philips Wiz bulb, it also works with Apple HomeKit. But does Philips Hue Bridge need Ethernet to function?
Given that the Philips Hue Bridge has no built-in Wi-Fi option, it needs the Ethernet cable to connect to the Wi-Fi. However, using a hotspot and the router in bridge mode, you can use your Hue Bridge without the Ethernet cable.
This article will guide you through how to connect Philips Hue Bridge to Wi-Fi without the Ethernet cable.
Connecting the Philips Hue Bridge to the Wi-Fi using the Ethernet cable
You can connect the Philips Hue Bridge to the Wi-Fi using the Ethernet cable by following the steps below;
- Plug the Philips Hue Bridge into the power outlet located near your router. You can use the AC adapter to plug the Bridge into the power source.
- Connect the Philips Hue Bridge to the available Ethernet port on your wireless router via the Ethernet cable.
- Insert the Ethernet cable into the Bridge and its opposite end into the open Ethernet slot on your router.
- Wait for the four lights to turn on, which will indicate that your Philips Hue Bridge is set up.
Setting up the Philips Hue Bulbs and linking them with the Philips Hue app
If you want to connect the Philips Hue Bridge, you must also want to set up the energy-efficient Philips Hue bulbs.
Given below are the steps through which you can set up the Philips Hue Bulbs and connect the Hue Bridge to the Philips Hue app;
- Install the Philips Hue Bulbs to any available light fixture at your home. The smart bulbs can be fixed into any standard size A19 and E12 light sockets.
- Switch on the light button.
- Install the Philips Hue app from Google Play Store (Android) or the App store (iPhone or iPad).
- Open the Hue app and tap on the orange Set up button that comes when the app has found the Hue Bridge on the wireless network.
- Tap the Push Link button in the center of the app.
- Tap on the yellow/orange Accept button at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the Update button so the Hue Bridge can be updated to the latest software.
- After updating is complete, tap Done to continue.
Note: the following two steps are for iPhone users only.
- Tap on the yellow/green Pair Up button at the bottom of your screen to start the process of setting up your home.
- Scan the code given inside and at the bottom of the Bridge box. You can also write the code manually.
Adding the Philips Hue Bulbs
- Tap on the “+” or Add lights button in your screen’s middle or lower right corner.
- Tap the orange Search button at the bottom of the screen. This might take a few minutes. Once it is done, it will show you the available bulbs on top of your screen.
- If the app does not find all your bulbs, you can add them manually by tapping on the “+” icon again and then tapping on Add serial number.
- Type the serial number of your bulbs to add them.
Ways to connect Hue Bridge without Ethernet cable
The two ways to connect the Hue Bridge without an Ethernet cable are described in detail below.
Method 1: Get a router with Bridge mode
To connect the Hue Bridge without an Ethernet cable, you will need a wireless router that has an Ethernet port. The router should also have features like range extender and Bridge mode. The Bridge mode enables users to connect two routers.
When you enable the Bridge mode, the router’s range is extended without performing Network Access Translation. In simple words, the router transfers the signals without processing the data that passes through it.
You have to connect the router to your hotspot using the Bridge mode. Doing so will enable you to use the Philips Hue Bridge without needing the Ethernet cable.
Also read: Does Philips Hue work on 5GHz?
Method 2: Resetting the Hue Bridge’s internal circuit
The Philips Hue Bridge has an 802.11 n/g Wi-Fi radio which is turned off by default. To enable it to use the Philips Hue Bridge wirelessly, you need to follow the steps below.
Note that this method requires you to understand electronic circuits and computer programming. Therefore, people lacking in these two areas might have difficulty trying this method.
- Undo the Bridge’s sticky panel to get access to the motherboard.
- Then, solder a 1×6 header into J6.
- Connect a board connector to the pins.
- Load the bootloader on your computer, gain root access to the device, and change its settings.
Final thoughts on whether Philips Hue Bridge needs Ethernet
The Philips Hue Bridge needs to be connected with the Ethernet cable. However, Hue Bridge actually has built-in Wi-Fi but enabling the connection is a rather painstaking process; therefore, it is convenient to connect it to the Wi-Fi using the Ethernet cable.
You can, however, make the Hue Bridge wireless by buying a router with Bridge mode or by reworking the internal circuit of the Philips Hue Bridge.