The current technological advancements have enabled people to control the lights in their homes without having to lift a finger! Now, your mind must be wondering how in the world is that even possible, isn’t it?
If yes, read on to equip yourself with the knowledge you must have in order to turn your lights off without getting up!
With Smart home automation, you can install various lighting options that will enable you to smartly command your lights. Smart home automation has come a long way since it was first introduced in the market for consumers. Now, you have a number of options readily available in the market.
You can always choose to purchase a product that will work best for you after slightly researching your options. In this case, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide that will save you from the frustration of having to choose a Smart home automation product for your home!
Smart bulbs enable you to customize, schedule, and control your lights remotely. These bulbs are capable of connecting to your home’s automation hub. The appearance and function of smart bulbs are surprisingly similar to regular bulbs. You just need to firmly place your smart bulb in a bulb socket or holder, and you are good to go!
- Smart bulbs are uncomplicated to install and can work with existing wiring.
- They are inexpensive compared to most smart home automation products.
Smart plugs are tiny devices that are capable of plugging into existing wall outlets. You are only required to plug your lamps into the smart plugs, and your lamps will automatically connect to your home automation system.
- Smart plugs are convenient to install by simply following the plug-and-play method.
- Smart plugs can also be utilized in controlling stereo systems and various electronic devices.
- Some smart plugs have an ingenious feature that helps you keep track of energy consumption. In this way, you can effortlessly monitor and calculate the monthly energy cost of the device plugged into the outlet.
Smart switches simply replace your regular switches. These switches are standard switches with additional smart features that aid you in home automation.
The smart switches operate through radio waves which enable them to connect to a nearby wireless network resulting in the integration of switches with the home automation system. These switches are hard-wired into your walls just like regular switches, and an electrician is required to fit them.
Even though installation of the smart switches is not simple yet, there are a number of benefits connected to them.
- Smart switches can efficiently control ceiling fans along with lights.
- They do not ruin the aesthetics of your home as the wiring is concealed within your walls.
If we discuss all the above-mentioned products in terms of cost, we can confidently label the smart bulbs as the least expensive smart home automation product. The smart bulls are not only the least expensive for purchasing, but their installation cost is also not that high. Generally, the prices vary according to the watt power of the bulb, but the average cost of a smart bulb is around $40.
On the contrary, smart plugs are slightly more expensive than smart bulbs. However, the installation cost of both the smart products is somehow similar. Lastly, the smart switches are the most expensive product among all three smart products discussed above. Furthermore, the smart switches require a professional for installation; this adds to the overall cost of smart switches.
If you are not bound by the cost factor, then it depends on you to choose a smart product for your home according to the features you are looking forward to. For instance, if you are looking forward to automating ceiling lights/fans, the ideal product for you will be the smart switches. These smart switches still let you operate your lights/fans manually, along with enabling you to operate them remotely.
If you are looking forward to operating lights that are not controlled by switches, you should consider investing in either smart bulbs or smart plugs!
Alexa is an infamous smart device that has now become a common household item. This smart home device enables you to remotely control the smart bulbs, smart plugs, and smart switches present in your home. We will be discussing the installation process and usage of Alexa for controlling lights below for your ease!
In order to proceed with turning on lights through Alexa, you first need to install an Alexa app which is readily available on Play Store and App Store.
Now, before you are able to turn on your lights, you are required to install and set up smart plugs, smart bulbs, or smart switches, whatever smart product you have chosen already.
Once you are done with the installation of either of the smart products, open up the Alexa app and follow the instructions given below!
- Firstly, tap on the Devices option given at the bottom of the screen.
- Secondly, tap on the + option present at the top right corner of the screen.
- Next, press on Add devices.
- Now select the type of device you are looking forward to connecting (bulb, plug, or switch).
- Choose the brand from the list given.
- Lastly, continue to follow the instructions on the screen to finally enable the voice commands on Alexa in order to remotely operate your lights.
Now you can simply turn your lights off without getting up remotely through Alexa.
You can conveniently control groups of lights with Alexa by following the step-by-step guide given below!
- Firstly, go to the Devices option in the Alexa app.
- Then you are required to press the + icon given in the top right corner of the screen.
- Next, you need to click on the Create a room or device group option.
- Tap Next.
- Now you need to either choose a pre-defined group name or give a customized name to your group.
- After you have given a name to your group, select all the devices you wish to add to that group.
- Tap Next.
- Lastly, you need to save your group on the system!
Once you have grouped specific lights according to the rooms in your house, you can conveniently control them with Alexa. For instance, you walk into your lounge and call out ‘’Alexa, turn on lounge lights’’ so that Alexa will know which lights you are referring to!
Good for you, yes! You can effortlessly make schedules to command your smart lights with Alexa. For scheduling your lights to turn on and off, you are required to set up routines for lights or groups of lights. For creating routines, you simply need to follow the steps given below!
- In order to create a routine, you firstly need to tap the three lines given at the top-left corner of the screen.
- Next, press on the Routines option.
- Then click on the + icon that pops up after you have selected routines.
- Tap + on the right of “When this happens”.
- Now you need to select the schedule option from the five options that pop up on the screen.
- Next, tap Select next to “At Time” and pick when you want the lights to turn on.
- If you wish to repeat this on certain days, tap Select next to Repeat and choose the days you want to repeat this schedule.
Once you have managed to successfully set up a routine, you will be taken back to the main screen. From this point onwards, you can proceed to create more routines.
If you wish to automate your home in order to smartly command your lights, without a doubt, Alexa and smart home automation products are the best choices for you! We have listed out three different smart products, including bulbs, plugs, and switches that can be used to automate the lights in your home. Furthermore, you can use Alexa to make the whole automation process even easier!