If you have completely set up your PS5 but want to automate it using Alexa, then it is common to wonder whether Alexa connects to PS5 and how to connect Alexa to PS5.
There is no direct way of connecting PS5 to Alexa. However, you can connect HDMI CEC (consumer electronic control) to PS5, which will also allow you to link it with Alexa. For this, you’ll need a television set compatible with Alexa.
Let’s explore the topic further!
You might also like: Can Alexa turn on my PS4?
What is HDMI CEC?
HDMI CEC enables devices to connect to your television through an HDMI port, allowing the television to control the devices connected to it and vice versa. Hence the devices have control over one another.
This is precisely what enables you to control the volume of your speakers through television remotes and turn on devices remotely.
Therefore, HDMI CEC serves as a secondary tool through which you can connect your PS5 to Alexa.
Connecting PS5 to Alexa using HDMI CEC and a smart TV
To connect your PS5 to Alexa, you’d first have to enable Alexa on your smart TV. To do that;
- Open your Alexa app.
- Go to Settings.
- Select TV & Video.
- Then, select your smart TV brand or the relevant app.
- Tap Link or tap Enable.
- Choose the smart TV you would like to connect Alexa with.
- Then, select the Alexa device you will be using for this connection, like Echo.
- Select Link Device to establish the connection.
Now, you have to set up PS5 with Alexa;
- Go to Settings on your smart TV.
- Open Systems.
- Select HDMI.
- Then, enable the Activate link of the HDMI device option.
With the HDMI function activated, your PS5 console will also turn on each time you turn on your television. You can then simply ask Alexa to turn on your TV, and it’ll turn the PS5 on with it.
If you only want to turn on the television, just disable the Active link of the HDMI device option from your console.
Options for when you don’t have an Alexa-compatible TV
Not everyone has an Alexa-compatible TV. For these users, there are other options through which one can connect their PS5 to Alexa, such as:
BroadLink RM is an extremely cheap, small infrared device with Wi-Fi connectivity.
The device enables us to control gadgets via remotes. Through BroadLink RM, one can order mobile phones or Alexa to turn on a particular device.
Hence you only need to command Alexa to turn on the television, which will automatically turn on the devices connected to the TV, i.e., your PS5.
Alexa Echo Dot
Alexa Echo Dot is a smart speaker device with a built-in microphone and speakers. It comes with remote control and allows you to communicate with the device verbally. You can connect your PS5 headset to the Alexa Echo Dot.
This way, you’ll be able to control your game using Alexa Echo Dot sound capabilities. This will make a powerful gaming tool.
Connecting the PS5 headset to the Alexa Echo Dot requires you to have a 3.5mm audio cable adapter.
Connecting Alexa Echo Dot to a Bluetooth headset + PS5
Connecting Alexa Echo Dot with a Bluetooth headset is possible if you have a 3.5mm audio cable adapter. Follow the given steps below to connect your Bluetooth headset to Alexa Echo Dot;
- Plug the audio cable adapter into the PS5 controller.
- In your Echo Dot, select Add Device in the Bluetooth Settings.
- A list of available devices will show up on the Echo Dot. Simply select the PS5 headset and pair it with the Echo Dot.
Advantages of connecting Alexa Echo Dot to PS5 headset
There are several advantages of connecting the PS5 headset to the Alexa Echo Dot. They are listed as follows:
- You can utilize voice commands to operate your house.
- Doing so will give you complete control of both the devices, i.e., Alexa Echo Dot and PS5 headset, since Alexa Echo Dot comes with remote control.
- In comparison to other smart speakers like Bluetooth speakers for Google Home, Alexa Echo Dot is relatively cheap.
- You may benefit from the Echo Dot’s surround sound features and get the most out of your gaming experience by connecting your PS5 headset to the device.
Connecting PS5 to wired headphones
PS5 doesn’t use Bluetooth; instead, it requires wired connections or a USB adapter. You will need to perform extra steps to connect wireless headphones to your PS5 console so that you can enjoy gaming without wires interrupting your games.
- Connect the USB adapter to your PS5’s USB port.
- Turn your headphones on.
- Go to Settings, open Devices, and select Audio Devices.
- Select Output device, then tap on your USB headset.
- Ensure that the volume is on.
- Select Audio from Output to the headset. Your headphones will now successfully be linked to the PS5.
Connecting the PULSE 3D Wireless Headphones to PS5
Sony’s approved cordless earpiece for PS5 is called PULSE 3D. This attachment is very easy to use and has good audio quality. Here’s how you can connect the Pulse 3D headphones to your PS5;
- Plug the headphones’ USB transmitter into your PS5 console.
- Turn your headset on.
- Press the PlayStation button on your console to go to Quick Menu.
- Select Accessories.
- Scan and select your PULSE 3D headphones. The name would be USB Headset(Wireless Headset).
- Go to the Mic menu and adjust the Microphone Level.
- Then, go to the Main Settings and select Sound.
- Adjust the 3D Audio Profile.
Final thoughts on connecting PS5 to Alexa
Even though there is no direct way of connecting Alexa to PS5, devices like HDMI CEC play a key role in linking Alexa and PS5 together.
You only need to connect HDMI to your PS5 console, and once you turn on your Alexa-compatible TV, the PS5 will automatically be turned on as well.
To make your gaming experience more fun and enjoyable, you can link the PS5 headset with Alexa Echo Dot by following the steps discussed in the article.