Amazon Echo device has a wide variety of smart speakers which can perform various functions through the voice control system of Alexa.
However, most people prefer listening to the radio when they are busy doing something and want to get the daily news and catch up on updates. So, it is normal to wonder, “Does Alexa has a DAB radio?”.
No, Alexa does not have a DAB radio. However, you can play radio stations because FM and DAB radio broadcast online. Even though Alexa does not have a DAB radio, the Roberts Radios REV-ISTREAM3PC Retro DAB/DAB+ FM is an Amazon-certified product that works with Alexa.
The article will guide you on how to enable radio stations on Alexa.
DAB vs. FM radio
The main difference between an FM and DAB radio is that FM radio works by changing the frequency of the signal it broadcasts, as indicated by its name Frequency Modulation. On the other hand, DAB radio is a Digital Audio Broadcasting radio that uses MPEG-1 Audio Layer II audio codec like the MP3 audio format.
Some other differences between the two radios are;
- DAB radio has a better sound quality than FM radio.
- There is less distortion of singles with DAB radio compared to FM radio.
- Environmental factors like the wind and flying planes do not affect DAB radio signals.
- DAB radio can play more stations compared to FM radio.
- DAB radios are more expensive than FM radios.
Asking Alexa to play radio stations
If you want Alexa to play radio stations, you only need to command Alexa by saying, “Alexa, play the radio station [radio station name].”
If Alexa is having trouble playing the radio, you can tell her to play the radio station from a specific service using the command; “Alexa, [service name] to play [radio station name].”
E.g., “Alexa, ask the BBC to play radio station 2.”
Alexa and local radio stations
Fortunately, Alexa also allows you to play local radio stations, given that they are available on services like TuneIn and broadcast online.
Also read: Can Alexa flash lights to music?
Setting up radio stations skill on Alexa
The process of enabling radio station services on Alexa is simple. Here is how you can do it;
- Tap on the Menu button in the top right corner of the screen of the Alexa app.
- Select Skills and Games from the menu and then check the top of the app’s screen for the Featured Categories boxes.
- Then search “radio” in the search bar. A list of available stations will appear on your screen. Choose whichever one you want to listen to.
Radio skills available on Alexa
Following radio skills are available on Alexa;
- TuneIn: TuneIn allows you to listen to many radio stations from across the globe.
- Spotify: You first need to link your Spotify and Amazon accounts together to play music/radio stations from Spotify through the Echo device. Once you have connected the two accounts, command Alexa to play what you want to listen to.
- iHeartRadio: You can access all the stations available on iHeartRadio. You can also listen to podcasts on iHeartRadio.
- Prime Music: Use the Prime Music services if you have an Amazon account or use it for a 30-day free trial.
- Audible: Listen to audiobooks through the Echo speakers. Since Amazon, one who owns Audible can easily access it. It is a paid service, but you can try using the 30-day free trial.
- Radioplayer: Get recommendations for the stations popular in your area of residence and listen to those stations on Radioplayer, a non-profit organization offering you to listen to radio stations online.
- Apple Music: Listen to Apple’s radio station Beats 1 through Apple Music.
Amazon Echo as an alternative to DAB radio
Amazon Echo is an excellent alternative to DAB radio and has many benefits, including;
- A more extensive collection of stations and things to listen to.
- Additional features like news, sports, on-demand weather updates, and reminders.
- Better signals reception.
Here are some cons of using the Amazon Echo as an alternative to DAB radio;
- Difficult to use if you have traditional radios.
- Need constant Wi-Fi availability.
- Risk of privacy breaching as Alexa is always listening.
Final thoughts on whether Alexa has a DAB radio
Even though Alexa does not have DAB radio, you can still set Alexa to play the stations available on DAB radio because these stations are often broadcasted live. You need to enable the radio skills on Alexa and can then ask her to play any stations you would like to listen to.
Moreover, you can also play local radio stations on Alexa. Radio skills like Spotify, iHeartRadio, TuneIn, Apple Music, etc., are great if you are looking to find some of the best stations out there.